A recent study by Cisco, Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update, 2015–2020 White Paper, confirmed the videos popularity on the internet. Here are some of the quick statistics and predictions sumerized by ReelSEO:
- By 2020, over 75% of global mobile data traffic will be video content.
- In U.S. video will account for 77% of total mobile data traffic by 2020, up from 61% in 2015
- Video accounted for 55% of mobile traffic in 2015.
- Smartphones will account for 81% of total mobile traffic by 2020 – up from 76% in 2015.
- 4G connectivity share is predicted to surpass 2G by 2018 and 3G by 2020
- By 2020, there will be 432M global WiFi hotspots (inc household) – up from 64M in 2015.
- There will be 3x more mobile connections than people in the UK by 2020.
- 7 trillion video clips will be uploaded in 2020 – 2.5 daily video clips for every person
- Global mobile data traffic will reach 30.6 exabytes per month in 2020, up from 3.7 exabytes in 2015
I am often perplexed by training departments resistance to using video in their online training courses.